Undergoing a divorce is an unpleasant, stressful and difficult procedure, and one that nobody wants to endure. Unfortunately, marriages do break down – for a wide variety of reasons – and things need to be legalised and official. It’s a sad time for all – and an upsetting one not just for the couple involved, but for children and other associated family also. There is a lot to think about, and it can be a lengthy procedure.
Divorce laws can be complex; you need to agree on so many things – the children, of course, plus property, assets and perhaps even business partnerships. Then there’s the financial side of things, which needs to be sorted carefully and agreed between all parties concerned. All of this means you need to engage the services of a professional, and good divorce lawyers will be able to help you come to all the necessary agreements quickly, effectively and with as little stress as possible, while also getting you the best deal!
What to Look For
If you are in need of a divorce lawyer, you need to ensure you engage one with the relevant experience, and also one who you are certain will work towards an agreement that is satisfactory to you and other parties involved. Here’s a handy checklist of things you should consider when choosing your divorce lawyer:
- Relevant experience: you need your divorce lawyer to be precisely that, a lawyer who specializes in divorce proceedings. This is very important as it is a tricky and confusing area of the law for a layman, and only full understanding will help.
- Proven track record: what has your divorce lawyer handled in the past? Can he or she demonstrate success in the courtroom? Feel free to ask, they will be more than happy to answer.
- Feel comfortable: divorce proceedings can be very personal and uncomfortable. You need to make sure you feel OK talking about things that may be a bit close to the bone with someone you don’t really know, and that they will be discreet.
- Open and sensible rates: make sure they are clear about what you will need to pay, and any extras that may be added for certain reasons.
- Free consultation: any good divorce lawyer – or other – will offer you an initial free consultation at which you can outline your situation and ask any questions you may have about their service.
You may have friends of family members who have recently endured a divorce; ask around as to the success of their chosen divorce lawyer, as you may get recommendations that make the choice somewhat easier.
Think of a divorce lawyer as someone who takes all the difficult parts of the process and knits them together to get the right conclusion. A good one is a highly-killed individual who will be able to treat your case as unique to you, and who will help you reach the right agreement as painlessly as possible, so look around and choose carefully.