Experiment With Your New Sous Vide Home Cooker
Make restaurant-grade meals and side dishes from the comfort of your own home with these delicious and nutritious sous vide recipes.
Sous vide cooking offers succulent, nutritious meals which are full of flavour, texture and vitamins. Up until recently, this style of cooking has been confined to top-notch restaurants across the globe. However, the availability of home sous vide cookers has opened up a whole new world of possibilities for home cooked meals.
If you have recently invested in a sous vide cooker, then check out this selection of best sous vide recipes to get you started.
Succulent Sous Vide Chicken
You can’t go wrong with this juicy, tender chicken recipe which can be used as the centrepiece for a hearty Sunday roast.
Ingredients: Chicken breast, salt, black pepper, butter, olive oil and fresh herbs.
Method: Set your sous vide cooker to 60C with the timer on for 90 minutes. Season the breasts with the salt and pepper, then put into a resealable bag with olive oil, butter and herbs. Submerge the bag entirely in the water and leave for 90 minutes.
Once removed, quickly fry the chicken breast in a pan using olive oil, until the skin is crispy. Serve immediately.
This sous vide style of cooking lobster allows you to infuse the meat with extra sweetness.
Ingredients: 2 live lobsters (1 ½ pounds), 30g unsalted butter, 2 sprigs of fresh tarragon, lemon wedges, 60ml clarified butter
Method: After killing the lobster, twist off the claws and tail and insert skewers into them. Boil the tail for 1 minute and the claws for 4 minutes, then transfer to an ice bath. Remove the meat then place in a resealable bag with the unsalted butter and tarragon. The air should be vacuum-sucked out. Cook in the sous vide bath for up to an hour, then serve with lemon wedges and clarified butter.
Poached Pears with Port
This the perfect indulgent dessert for those with a sweet tooth.
Ingredients: 6 firm peeled pears with stem left on, 120ml port, 180g sugar, 3 tablespoons of honey, 2 cinnamon sticks and 5 cloves.
Method: Preheat your sous vide cooker to 85C. Pour the port into a pan, add the sugar, honey and spices, then boil until the sugar has dissolved. Remove the pan and set light to the port to burn off the alcohol. Once cool, pour the liquid into a vacuum bag along with the pears. Remove the air and seal the bag. Cook in your sous vide machine for 2 hours. Serve with the remaining sauce and ice cream.
Perfect Carrot Side-Dish
This simple but delicious accompaniment goes well with many types of meat main courses, whether it be a Sunday roast or chicken pasta.
Ingredients: Carrots, salt and pepper, parsley, butter and olive oil.
Method: Preset your cooker to 90C and pop the timer on for 30 minutes. Peel your carrots, season them then place them in a sealable bag – add butter and a dash of olive oil alongside the parsley. Submerge the bag and simply cook for half an hour!
Egg And Bacon Bites
These bites are so moreish that you’ll be making them every day!
Ingredients: 6 eggs, 170g gruyere cheese, 85g cream cheese, 3 slices of cooked bacon cut into cubes, pinch of salt to taste.
Method: Set your sous vide cooker to 78C. Whisk together the eggs, cheese and salt until thoroughly combined. Distribute the cubes of bacon into the bottom of 6 canning jars with lids. Fill with the egg and cheese mixture. Place the lids on but only to fingertip tightness to prevent the jars from shattering. Submerge the jars for one hour, then enjoy straight from the cup.
These recipes are just a brief selection of the wonderful ways that you can experiment with your new sous vide cooker. If your mouth is already watering, then it’s time to get cracking on making your next sous vide treat.
The last few years have seen a pretty substantial shakeup in the sleep industry driven by the increase in innovative technological applications and a tech driven media advertising campaigns. Mattress startup companies have made a wide success out of this, and if you find yourself shopping for the best sleep ever, you’re going to find that you have A LOT to choose from.
So how exactly do you narrow down your choices? Honestly, finding your perfect mattress pick should be approached with an end in mind, meaning you need to do a little bit of research to truly understand what choices are out there. But keep in mind the following tips and jumping off points to help get you started- and to make your journey that much easier!
- Consider your personal sleep preferences: Side sleepers prefer softer surfaces, and back or stomach sleepers prefer more firm sleeping surfaces for a reason. This is due to the support each type of bed can lend to your overall physical support in order to wake each morning feeling refreshed- and not stiff or sore.
A good night’s rest is a crucial component to your overall physical and mental health. If you find yourself becoming irritable easily, or have trouble focusing, sleep deprivation may be to blame- so be sure to make your comfort each night a priority.
- Know the size of your bed: You’d be surprised how many first time mattress shoppers are unsure of their bed size. Do you know the difference between a full sized and queen mattress, other than the label on the sheets you buy? Know the standard measurements of mattress sizes in order to know if you are buying not only the right size, but if you are getting a lower quality item that is shaving inches from their products- leaving gaps between headboards and mattress.
- Take advantage of technology to narrow down your search: You have the variety of mattress choices to choose from due to technology, so it’s time to make use of it to get what you want. Many sites, such as the The Sleep Judge, offer dozens of unbiased reviews to help you get your search started.
- Quality does not always have to cost more: As mentioned, new company startups have been driven by the recent advances in technological use. This has caused an increase in product competition, which has dramatically driven down cost, and forced long standing brand names to reconsider their consumer interactions.
Brick and mortar markups found in mattress showrooms have been chipped away at due to new factory direct shipping opportunities. Because of this you can often find brand name products offered deeply discounted, or price matched against online offers. Plus, the many new startups are often of equal quality and are worth taking a closer look at, especially if your shopping experience is limited to your budget.
- Research the materials your choices are made from: Not all materials are made the same, and you should know the differences in order to find your comfort preferences within your budget to get the best quality available.
Mattress generally fall into one of three categories: memory foam, spring coil, or a hybrid version of these two. Memory foam is an open-celled viscoelastic polyurethane foam and is popular due to its enveloping feel as your weight sinks into it. These types of mattresses are layered with memory foam supported by a more general poly foam found underneath. The density of foam is equal to it’s quality, so be sure to look for memory foams that weigh in at 3.5lb/cu.in or higher to ensure the best bang for your buck.
Mattresses supported by spring coiled construction are a more traditional design and typically are topped by a pillow top, or even thin layer of memory foam to provide an initially softer surface without sacrificing support and weight distribution. Coil count and coil gauge is important to take interest in as it will provide you with an idea of material quality. Less coils of a lower gauge (thicker) is a better quality support than more coils at a higher gauge (thinner).
- Know your terminology: Knowing the quality of your choices has much to do with recognizing the terminology used pertaining to the materials. Recognizing the difference between memory foam and innerspring mattresses might drive your initial choices, but what about the many other terms being thrown at you during your research? Details like gel, or copper infused, layers deal with cooling and pain reducing technologies respectively, and might be beneficial to your overall sleep experience. If during your search you see something you don’t recognize, do yourself a favor and take the time to look it up.
Frank Apodaca strives to find the best night’s sleep possible for you through the testing of a variety of products and unbiased reviews you can find at The Sleep Judge. Through his years in the business he has come across a quite a few products, both good and bad, and knows quality when he sees it. His experience with the industry provides you with the best advice possible to get you what you need. Follow us on Facebook, Youtube, or Twitter